Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Perfect Saturday Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Every Friday night I decide I want to get up early and walk to the market to buy vegetables and eggs. Come Saturday morning, I usually change my mind. This morning we all took a family nap. It was great. It was so fun to all cuddle up in bed together. Then I started to make my favorite Saturday muffins, and discovered I was out of eggs and butter. I know. I put butter on pretty much everything, and I was out (maybe because I put butter on pretty much everything). And didn't I just say I needed to walk to the market for eggs?

One of my best friends in the world got engaged last night (yay!) and she and her new fiance came by to show me her ring. Then Jeremy went to the store for groceries. I made the muffins, and then we had breakfast...at 2:00 in the afternoon. Perfect Saturday.

Cinnamon-Apple Oatmeal Muffins



~1 cup of wheat flower
~1/3 cup of almond meal
~3/4 cup of oatmeal
~1/3 cup of sugar
~2 teaspoons of baking powder
~1 teaspoon of cinnamon
~1/4 teaspoon of salt
~1 large egg
~3/4 cup of milk
~1/4 cup of vegetable/canola oil
~1 large, crisp apple

For streusel
~
3 tablespoons of flour
~3 tablespoons of packed brown sugar
~1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
~2 tablespoons of butter
~2 tablespoons of chopped nuts

Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat the egg together with the milk and oil, then mix it with the flour mixture. Peel and chop the apple into 1/2-inch pieces and stir them into the mix. Mix the dry ingredients of the streusel topping together, then cut in the butter with a pastry knife or a fork until you have sticky crumbs. Then stir in the nuts. Grease a muffin pan and fill the cups 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle the streusel topping over each muffin. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 18-20 minutes. *Substitutions: You may substitute white flower for the wheat flower and almond meal. You can use any type of fruit you like. You may substitute rice milk or soy milk.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a yummy tradition to start at our house. I hope to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete