Sunday, May 13, 2012

Apple Cheddar Omelet


Several years ago my mom and I took a road trip.  A dear friend of mine was getting married in Connecticut, and we drove up together to attend her wedding.  We accidentally drove through New York City, which was "fun" if you don't count the Friday night traffic and serious car crash that happened right in front of us.  When we finally got to our hotel we ordered bacon and pepperoni pizza from some joint that managed to deliver it piping hot to our hotel within 10 minutes, and seriously, people, it was the best pizza I've ever had.  The next morning, we found some awesome little diner with comfort food and good coffee.  It's the kind of place I never expected to find outside of the south, but then the waitress arrived and said something along the lines of, "Whaddya want?" and I realized we were still in the north.  Whilst there, I ate the absolute best omelet I've ever eaten (sidenote: who knew "omelet" was so easy to spell?  I just tried omelette, omelete, ommelette, and finally gave up and clicked the stupid squiggly line and it was "omelet."  Ugh.  I really do try to foreign-ize all my words).  It was hot, it had white cheddar cheese and sage sausage cinnamon apples and sigh....  I have literally been thinking about duplicating that omelet ever since.

A few days ago that friend of mine came by to visit.  She's the kind of friend with whom I don't keep in touch well, and then when we get together I'm always thinking, "Why don't we keep in touch more????"  Anyways, it was a good visit, but that visit also reminded me of that omelet.  I did not have all the necessary ingredients, so I fudged, and it still came out pretty darn good.  But, if you want it to come out pretty darn better, substitute the yellow cheddar for white and the regular sausage for sage.

Apple Cheddar Omelet
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1/4 pound sausage
    • 1/2 medium apple, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes (use a crisp, semi-sweet one)
    • 1/4 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
      Crumble and saute sausage over medium heat until it is about 60% done.  Add chopped apple to the grease and cook until it's all done.  Remove from heat.  Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat.  Pour whisked eggs into the pan and allow to cook until it starts to bubble.  Fill one half with cheese, sausage, and cheddar, then fold.  Allow the cheese to melt and transfer to a plate.


      *Disclaimer: The pan I used to make this omelet in is NOT a proper omelet-making pan.  It was a real pain in the neck when it came time to fold and transfer this omelet.  


      No comments:

      Post a Comment