Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oatmeal Cream Pies

It's snowing. A LOT. Just yesterday I was talking to my husband about how it seemed like the whole winter had passed and it never really got cold. I was so excited, and then it snowed 6 inches (maybe more - it's still going). We took Malachi out in it and he got super-excited and tried to catch it. He kept looking up and then blinking to get it out of his eyes. I hope it snows so much that my over-determined "I go to work even when I have the flu" husband can't possibly get to work (but considering he could walk, I doubt that will happen).



I'm not sure why I'm so excited to get snowed in, when I don't work anymore. In fact, getting snowed in on Monday just means that I don't get to go coupon-ing on my normal day. But I'm excited anyways. In fact, if we get snowed in I might just eat popcorn, watch movies, and stay in my pajamas all day anyways. And bake. Because, in spite of the fact that the roads were icy by the time we got home from lunch, we did manage to stop by the grocery store to buy butter. Because, you know, I can't live without it.

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
Cookie recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
Cream recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Cookies



~3/4 cup butter, softened
~1 cup packed brown sugar
~1/2 cup white sugar
~1 tsp. baking powder
~1/4 tsp. baking soda
~1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
~1/4 tsp. ground cloves
~2 eggs
~1 tsp. vanilla
~1 1/2 cups flour
~2 cups oatmeal

Beat the butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Stir in sugars, powder, soda, and spices. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as you can, then stir in the rest. Stir in oatmeal. Drop onto ungreased baking sheets in rounded teaspoons. Here's the trick to getting them flat: Bake for 6 minutes at 375 degrees. Take out the cookie sheet and bang it on the counter to flatten the cookies. Bake 2-3 minutes more until brown on the edges. Let the cookies cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet, then let the cookies cool completely on a cooling rack.

Filling



~1/2 stick of butter, softened
~1/4 cup shortening
~2 cups powdered sugar
~2 teaspoons of vanilla

Beat together butter and shortening, then slowly beat in the sugar and vanilla until well mixed. Turn the beater on high and beat until light and fluffy. Fill a sandwich bag with cream filling and cut off a tip of one of the corners. Squeeze a mound of cream onto a cookie, then smoosh another one on top. They'll keep on the counter for about a week. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy looking! Jeremy should just stay home and eat the goods and enjoy the "holiday", clean up the drive and eat snow with Malachi and help him make little snow angels. Hehe! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete