Sunday, April 8, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash and Fennel

I guess I took a little break. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. I haven't blogged in a week. Relatedly, I haven't cooked much new in a week. My ESL class is on Spring break. I haven't done my Bible study homework in a couple days. It's Easter so there's no coupons to cut this week. I've only been playing Words with Friends once or twice a day instead of my usual 10 or 11 times (I know, it's bad). I haven't cleaned my house in....well....yeah. Anyways, it's been kind of nice and also kind of weird. I haven't intentionally cut out anything - actually, I've just been doing other things instead. I sewed Malachi a new lovey. My mom and sister came over and helped me make flower beds in my yard. I made these for a new neighbor. I'm going to get some administrative stuff done for my ESL program. I've really enjoyed frozen pizzas and eating out. I read a book in two days.


Breaks are really nice sometimes. It's fun to just break the routine and do something out of the ordinary. I am a type A personality, but I'm also really spontaneous by nature.


I went a little (or a lot) crazy in the produce section last week at the store, so I cooked with two things that are not a part of my regular repertoire - butternut squash and fennel. I have used butternut squash for baby food and this, but fennel was a first. It was good!

Roasted Butternut Squash with Fennel and Tomatoes

~1 2-lb butternut squash
~1 fennel bulb and about 2 tablespoons chopped fennel greens
~1/2 chopped onion
~1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
~olive oil
~3 cloves chopped garlic
~1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (if you like, to balance the sweetness of the squash)
~salt and pepper
~basil


Peel and dice the butternut squash (good instructions here - it's actually not that hard). Chop the fennel bulb into crescent slices. Toss squash, fennel, onions, and garlic with oil and spices. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 45 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes. Toss in the tomatoes for the last 15 minutes or so. Eat as a side, or toss with some pasta, lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh Romano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment